HISTORY

of the Military Institute of Telecommunications and Information Technologies named after Heroes of Kruty


The Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine № 490 dated August 19, 1992 established the Kyiv Military Institute of Command and Communications on the basis of the Kyiv Higher Military Twice Red Banner Engineering Training School of Communications named after M. I. Kalinin and the Kyiv Higher Engineering Radiotechnical Training School of Air Defense named after Marshal of the Air Force A. I. Pokryshkin.

In accordance with the Decree of the President of Ukraine № 1173/2000 dated October 30, 2000 "On regularization the assignment of honorifices to military units and institutions" and the Order of the Head of the Institute (for personnel section) № 30 dated February 13, 2001, the Kyiv Military Institute of Command and Communications was renamed to the Kyiv Military Twice Order of the Red Banner Institute of Command and Communications.

The Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine № 269 dated March 22, 2001,, Letter of instruction of the Minister of Defense № D-115/1/3280 dated June 11, 2001, Order of the Chief of the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine № 28 dated July 18, 2001 established the Military Twice Order of the Red Banner Institute of Telecommunications and Information Technologies of the National Technical University of Ukraine «Kyiv Polytechnic Institute».

In accordance with the Order of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine №509-r dated June 26, 2013, the Joint Directive of the Ministry of Defense of Ukraine and the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine № D-322/1/02 dated July 01, 2013 was changed the name of the of Telecommunications and Information Technologies of the National Technical University of Ukraine «Kyiv Polytechnic Institute» to the Military Institute of Telecommunications and Information Technologies of the State University of Telecommunications.

The Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine № 94 dated January 30, 2015, Joint Directive of the Ministry of Defense of Ukraine and the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine №D-322/1/11FOUO dated April 01, 2015 changed the name of the Military Institute of Telecommunications and Information Technologies of the State University of Telecommunications to the Military Institute of Telecommunications and Information Technologies.

On August 24, 2015, the Military Institute of Telecommunications and Information Technologies was awarded a Battle flag.

On January 29, 2018, on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the historical events near Kruty and in order to honor the feat of the Heroes of Kruty and military patriotic education of servicemen of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, the President of Ukraine – Supreme Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko awarded the Military Institute of Telecommunications and Information Technologies the honorary name of the Heroes of Kruty.

The corresponding Decree was signed by the Head of State during a visit to the Institute at celebrations in the presence of all military personnel.

On the occasion of awarding the Institute the name of Heroes of Krut, the Supreme Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of Ukraine presented the Head of the Institute, Colonel Yevhen Stepanenko, with the combat flag of the Institute.

According to the Order of the Head of the Military Institute of telecommunications and Information Technologies named after Heroes of Kruty № 31 dated January 17, 2019 and a letter from the Ukrainian Institute of National Remembrance № 91/42-06-19 dated January 17, 2019, the Day of establishment of the Institute is January 29, 1918.


Appendix to the historical reference

I. Prehistory of the educational institution (1835-1917).

1835 – construction of a two-battalion defensive barracks on the territory of the Pechersk fortress began.

1839 – completion of the building and its putting into service. A cantonist school has been opened.

1865 – the Kyiv infantry military school was established on the basis of the cantonist school.

1897 – the training school was renamed from the Kyiv infantry military school to the Kyiv Military School.

In 1915, the Kyiv Military School was renamed to the 1st Kyiv Konstiantynivskyi Military School.

On November 5, 1917, after military clashes with the Bolsheviks, the military personnel of the Kyiv Konstiantynivskyi Military School seized a train and left for the Kuban, where they later took part in battles with Red Army detachments.

Over the years of its existence, the Military School has trained thousands of officers. Among them were many who served in the UPR Army, the Ukrainian State and the Active UPR Army during the Ukrainian Revolution of 1917-1921.

Famous graduates:

Volodymyr V. Sikevych — Ukrainian military and political leader; Cornet General of the Army of the Ukrainian People's Republic (Lieutenant General in exile).

Valentyn M. Trutenko  — Ukrainian military leader; Cornet General of the Army of the Ukrainian People's Republic.

Lev A. Drozdovskyi — Ukrainian military and political leader; Cornet General of the Army of the Ukrainian People's Republic, Military Attache of the UPR in Switzerland and Italy.

 

Mykola M. Nikolic  — General Cornet of the Army of the Ukrainian state;

Serhii V. Izotov  — Colonel of the Active Army of the UPR.


II. The period of the Ukrainian Revolution (1917-1921).

On November 20, 1917, the First Ukrainian Military Youth School was deployed on the territory of the Konstiantynivskyi Military School by Order of the General Secretary for Military Affairs Symon Petliura. The school was named after Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytskyi.

In January 1918, when the Red Guard troops threatened to capture the capital of the Ukrainian Republic, cadets from the First Ukrainian Military Youth School took an active part in battles with the Red Guards, in particular in the Battle of Kruty, defending the Central Rada.

During January 21-26, 1918, sergeants and cadets of the First Kyiv Youth School named after B. Khmelnytskyi, students of the University of St. Volodymyr and the Ukrainian People's University, who expressed a desire to defend their country, gathered in the millitary barracks of the former Konstiantynivskyi Military School, where initial military training took place.

On January 29, 1918, under the Kruty station, 450 cadets and 20 sergeants of the First Ukrainian Military Youth School named after Bohdan Khmelnytskyi together with a hundred (116-130 people) of the newly created volunteer Assistant Student Kurin of sich riflemen, engaged in battle with superior enemy forces, and detained the enemy for four days, which allowed the Ukrainian government to ensure recognition of Ukrainian statehood at the international level.

Of the five hundred soldiers who, neglecting their young lives, covered their native Kyiv with their own breasts, 140 young men and sergeants were killed, up to 150 were wounded, captured and severely tortured by the enemy.

Before the execution, 28 Ukrainian heroes, including cadets Bozhko-Bozhynskyi, Tarnavskyi, Sokolovskyi, M. Lyzohub, O. Popovych, V. Shulhin, M. Hankevych, sang the national anthem “Ukraine has not died”.


III. Soviet period of history (1919-1991).

In 1919, the Soviet government organized engineering courses (when the Revolutionary Military Council of the Republic approved the staff of engineering courses for training the command staff of the Workers' and Peasants' Red Army. Cadets of combat construction, road-bridge and electrical engineering departments (signalmen) studied at these courses. On April 23, 1920, the courses left Moscow for Kyiv in two echelons. However, due to the threat of capture of Kyiv by the Polish Army, the courses were located at the Kharkiv racetrack. On August 16, 1920, the Moscow engineering courses arrived in Kyiv and were located in the military school building in Pechersk.

On August 11, 1920, the courses were renamed to the 2nd Kyiv Military Engineering Courses of 600 people, and on January 21, 1921 – to the 3rd Kyiv Military Engineering School. 01.11.1924 renamed to the Military School of Communications, which eventually turned into the Kyiv Higher Military Engineering Twice Red Banner School of Communications named after M. I. Kalinin (1968-1992).


IV. Times of Independence of Ukraine.

On October 2, 1994, the Kyiv Military Institute of Command and Communications was awarded the Battle Red Banner.

Since 2001, the Military Institute has switched to a new technology of training – Bachelor's degree training and Master's degree awarding.

On May 4, 1995, a stele was unveiled on the territory of the Institute, on the alley of Heroes, in honor of almost 2,000 graduates who died during the Second World War.

By the Order of the Minister of Defense of Ukraine № 252 dated 07.08.2000 "For the courage and heroism shown during the Second World War, a significant personal contribution to the defense of the Motherland from the fascist invaders and in order to increase the level of military patriotic education of the military personnel of the Signal Forces of the Armed Forces of Ukraine on the combat traditions of the front line generation of defenders of the Homeland, an honorary soldier of the Kyiv Military Institute of Command and Communications was awarded a Hero of the Soviet Union, a participant in the expulsion of the Nazis from Kyiv, retired Lieutenant General Mykhailo K. Pylypenko", who from 1973 to 1989 was the Head of this educational institution.

On January 29, 2008, on the occasion of the 90th anniversary of the Battle of Kruty, a memorial plaque was installed on the building of the Military Institute of Telecommunications and Information Technologies.

By the Order of the Minister of Defense of Ukraine № 47 dated 29.01.2016 "For showing courage, heroism, bravery and selfless actions during the performance of military duty in the Anti-Terrorist Operation Zone on the territory of Donetsk and Luhansk regions, Colonel Ihor Pavlov was included forever in the lists of the Military Institute of Telecommunications and Information Technologies", Head of the Department of Tactical and Special Training of the Faculty of Information Protection of the Military Institute of Telecommunications and Information Technologies.

In honor of the memory of graduates of the higher educational establishment who showed courage, heroism, bravery and selfless actions during the performance of military duty to protect the state sovereignty and territorial integrity of Ukraine to ensure communication in the Anti-Terrorist Operation Zone on the territory of Donetsk and Luhansk regions, on October 12, 2016, a memorial to the lost graduates signalman officers in the ATO (14 officers, including Сolonels - 3, Lieutenant Colonels - 2, Majors - 4, Captains - 5) was opened on the alley of Heroes of the Institute.

On October 27, 2017, a significant event took place at the Military Institute of Telecommunications and Information Technologies — a monument was unveiled to Major General Maksym Shapoval, a graduate of the higher educational establishment in 2000, a participant in the Anti-Terrorist Operation, Hero of Ukraine, who died from a terrorist act in Kyiv.

Over the years of independence of Ukraine, the Institute has trained more than five thousand highly qualified specialists for the Armed Forces of Ukraine and other military formations.

The experience of fighting once again proved what an important figure on the battlefield was and remains an officer. Not only the outcome of the battle, but also the life of the soldiers depends on his competence, professionalism, patriotism, and fortitude.

Among the military personnel of the Institute there are 184 participants of the Anti-Terrorist Operation, including 65 cadets.

For successful performance of combat tasks, conscientious performance of official duties, 17 servicemen of the Institute were awarded the badge of distinction of the President of Ukraine "For participation in the Anti-Terrorist Operation".

7 senior officers of the Institute were awarded state awards: the Order of Bohdan Khmelnytskyi III degree – 5, 1 of them (posthumously), the Order "For Courage" III degree – 1, the Order of Princess Olga III degree – 1, 4 servicemen were awarded by the honors of the Minister of Defense of Ukraine, 111 servicemen – by the honors of the Chief of the General Staff – Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of Ukraine.


Heads of the Military Institute from 2001 to the present:

Colonel Viktor D. Teteryatnyk (14.07.2001 - 17.11.2003), currently retired from the Ministry of Defense of Ukraine;

Major General Anatolii I. Minochkin (18.03.2004-23.02.16), currently retired from the Ministry of Defense of Ukraine;

Major General Yevhen Stepanenko (26.04.2016-2020), currently Commander of the Communications and Cyber Security Forces of the Armed Forces of Ukraine;

Major General Viktor Ostapchuk (2020 - present).


The Institute has rightfully earned the distinguished title of Heroes of Kruty. It will be proud of both those who are studying now, and those who have already graduated and serve in the Ukrainian army!

© Military Institute of Telecommunications and Information Technologies, 2009-2021.

vitivstup@viti.edu.ua Send questions concerning admission to: vitivstup@ukr.net

ß-version. Some sections of the site work in test mode.

^ Наверх