Faculty of the combat use of control and communications systems
The Faculty is intended for training highly qualified officers at the education and qualification level “Bachelor”, “Master” and specialists of extramural form of study from among contract military personnel.
Head of the Faculty
Colonel Oleksandr A. PONOMAROV
Deputy Head of the Faculty for academic
and scientific work - Head of the training unit
Deputy Head of the Faculty
on moral and psychological support
The Faculty provides training in the following specialties:
- “Cybersecurity” in the specialty “Information security and cyber security in information and telecommunications systems”;
- “Military administration(by types of troops)” in the specialty “Management of actions of communications units”;
- “Armament and military equipment” in the specialty “Radio electronic information systems, operational and special equipment”.
ORGANIZATIONALLY THE FACULTY CONSISTS OF 3 DEPARTMENTS:
Department of "COMBAT USE OF COMMUNICATIONS UNITS"
Head of the Department
Colonel Oleksandr M. NESTEROV
Candidate of Military Sciences
The Department provides theoretical and practical training of cadets of the Institute in tactical and special disciplines in the interests of training specialists in information and telecommunications systems and military networks.
The Department provides training for future officers of information and telecommunications networks in conjunction with all departments of the institute, providing practical skills in managing information and telecommunications systems, taking into account the experience of the ATO, and also conducts training in career development courses for officers (students) called up for mobilization.
Tactical and special disciplines for which training is carried out:
- Fundamentals of organizing the work of management bodies;
- Fundamentals of management and decision-making in military affairs;
- Сombat use of systems and complexes of military communication of large unit;
- Organization of military communications;
- Operation of information and telecommunications systems;
- Organization of communication in the tactical control level.
Department of "SPECIAL INFORMATION SYSTEMS AND ROBOTIC COMPLEXES"
Head of the Department
Colonel Ihor V. PANCHENKO
Candidate of Technical Sciences, participant of combat operations
The Department of “Special information systems and robotic complexes” provides theoretical and practical training of specialists in the field of “Military sciences, national security, state border security” specialty 255 “Armament and military equipment”, specialization “Radio electronic information systems, operational and special equipment” for full-time training.
The Department trains officers of operational and technical activities for service in the positions of the Main Intelligence Directorate of the Ministry of Defense, the State Border Guard Service, the Foreign Intelligence Service and Special Operations Forces units.
The Department is actively working on the creation of its own unmanned aircraft systems-repeaters and prepared and implemented in the educational process a new discipline “Combat use of unmanned aircraft systems ”. The budget of this discipline provides for 90 hours for all specialties at the Institute, that will be taught during the 5th and 6th semesters with mandatory practical flights on UAVs in the field.
Training programs of the Department include the study of:
- theoretical and practical issues of the basics of construction of unmanned aircraft systems and the basic principles of their use as a telecommunications aero platform;
- procedure for developing tools based on microcontrollers;
- fundamentals of Information Security;
- special printing production when performing pre-printing, form and post-printing processes, special-purpose information systems and technologies for solving practical problems of information warfare and information counteraction;
- methods and tools for monitoring information leakage channels.
Department of “CYBERSECURITY”
Head of the Department
Colonel Vladyslav Y. CHEVARDIN
Doctor of Technical Science, senior research fellow, participant of combat operations
Leading Department in the field of training specialists in integrated information security in Information and telecommunications systems of the Armed Forces of Ukraine. The Department covers areas from mathematical aspects to the most modern information security systems. The Department employs: Doctor of Technical Sciences – 1, Candidates of Technical Sciences – 5, including: Senior Research Fellow - 1, Associate Professors - 2.
The Department trains attendees at the following educational and professional levels:
- Bachelor's degree in Cybersecurity - intramural and extramural forms of study;
- Master's degree in cybersecurity - intramural form of study;
- Candidate of Technical Sciences specialty 05.13.21- Information Security Systems.
The Department conducts course training of reserve officers in the field of Technical information protection, cyber security in information and telecommunications systems, work on cryptographic information protection products.
Attendees will gain knowledge and skills in three areas: technical information protection, construction of cryptographic information security systems, and cyber security.
- organizational and legal issues of construction of cyber security systems for information and telecommunications systems;
- mathematical aspects of large data analysis;
- fundamentals of construction of artificial intelligence systems;
- design and management of systems and complexes of cyber security of information and telecommunications systems;
- control and assessment of the security of the cyber space at critical infrastructure facilities of the state.
Construction of cryptographic information security systems:
- theoretical foundations of construction of cryptographic information security systems;
- practical skills in designing, developing and evaluating the cryptographic security and computational complexity of cryptographic information security systems;
- theoretical knowledge and practical skills in the deployment, operation and management of cryptographic security products, information security complexes and systems in ITS of the Armed Forces of Ukraine.
Technical Information Protection:
- organizational and legal issues of construction of complex information security systems, systems and complexes of Technical Information Protection;
- practical skills in designing, constructing, monitoring and evaluating the effectiveness of integrated information security systems, systems and complexes of Technical Information Protection.
Scientific and pedagogical activity:
Research and teaching staff of the Department took part in the work of international scientific-technical and scientific-practical conferences: "Security and Resilience of Information Systems Affected by Hybrid Threats", which was held in Pärnu, Estonia within the framework of the NATO for Peace program, "The impact of rivalry between China, Russia and the United States on the security dynamics of Asia, the Maghreb and Europe", which was held in Krakow, Republic of Poland, within the framework of the DEEP program, in many summits and meetings within the framework of cooperation with representatives of Georgia, the Italian Republic, United States, Germany. Since 2017, the Department has been hosting a permanent scientific and technical seminar on information protection and cyber defense in ITS of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, which involves representatives of the National Bank of Ukraine, ISCIP NTUU “KPI”, FTI NTUU “KPI”, KhNU named after Karazin, representatives of military unit A0334 and other departments.
Theory and practice of developing methods and models of pseudorandom sequences generators for providing cryptographic information protection (Associate Professor of the Department, Doctor of Technical Sciences, Senior Research Fellow V.Y. Chevardin , Associate Professor of the Department, Candidate of Technical Sciences, Associate Professor I.V. Samoilov , Associate Professor of the Department, Candidate of Technical Sciences S.M. Yakovlev).
Theory and practice of developing authentication methods and systems based on elliptic curve arithmetic (Associate Professor of the Department, Doctor of Technical Sciences, Senior Research Fellow V.Y. Chevardin, Associate Professor of the Department, Candidate of Technical Sciences, Associate Professor I.V. Samoilov, Associate Professor of the Department, Candidate of Technical Sciences S.M. Yakovlev). Evidentiary and practical stability of non-Markov symmetric block ciphers of differential cryptanalysis (Associate Professor of the Department, Candidate of Technical Sciences S.M. Yakovlev).
Evidentiary and practical stability of non-Markov symmetric block ciphers of differential cryptanalysis (Associate Professor of the Department, Candidate of Technical Sciences S.M. Yakovlev).
Methods and models of vulnerability analysis and assessment of cybernetic security of information and telecommunications systems (Associate Professor of the Department, Doctor of Technical Sciences, Senior Research Fellow V.Y. Chevardin, Associate Professor of the Department, Candidate of Technical Sciences S.M. Yakovlev).
The Department actively cooperates with the Departments of Mathematical Methods of Information Protection of NTUU "KPI" named after Sikorsky, Department №1 of ISCIP NTUU "KPI" named after Sikorsky, Department of Security of Information and Communication Systems, staff of the Institute of Information Technologies, Kharkiv, Main Communications and Information Systems Directorate of the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine.
Scientific works and achievements:
Utility model patent №18692/15.11.2006. Key hashing method based on elliptic curve arithmetic.
Utility model patent №18693/15.11.2006. Key hashing method for theoretically proven stability.
Utility model patent №38388/12.01.2009. Method of key hashing of theoretically proven stability using transformations in groups of points of an elliptical curve.
Patent №48463/25.03.2010. Method for managing the retransmission timeout in a telecommunications network.
Textbooks and monographs:
Resilience and Risk. Methods and Application in Environment, Cyber and Social Domains / NATO Science for Peace and Security Series — C: Environmental Security. Springer, Science+Business Media B.V. 2017.
The department has published more than 13 educational and methodological manuals in the area of the Department's work.
More than 150 scientific articles in professional publications of Ukraine and international scientific and technical collections and journals.
Participation in international scientific and technical seminars and conferences:
More than 110 theses in professional publications of Ukraine and international scientific and technical collections and journals.
EDUCATIONAL AND MATERIAL BASE
EDUCATIONAL AND SCIENTIFIC ACTIVITIES
The main task of the Faculty is to carry out educational activities that meet the standard of higher education, and provide training in accordance with the state order of highly qualified military specialists.
Educational activities are implemented in the form of an educational process. It includes educational, methodological work and scientific, scientific and technical activities.
The main type of educational activity is educational work. It includes the activities of the Command of the Faculty and its structural divisions, scientific and pedagogical and other employees on the following issues: training in the specialty of cadets; organization and scientific-methodological support of all forms (types) of training sessions, self-development, practical training; improving the content of training taking into account modern achievements of Science, Engineering, Technologies, as well as the experience of conducting of the Anti-Terrorist Operation in the east of the country; conducting diagnostics of training results, education and development of cadets; their certification and quality management of the educational process.
For the purpose of the above, the Departments of the Faculty have established and operate:
- lecture hall of exploitation of ITS tools;
- lecture hall of combat use of information and telecommunications nodes and communications organization;
- lecture hall of tactics and military topography;
- lecture hall of combat use of tactical management information systems;
- training complex (command and observation post of the mechanized battalion, control point of the separate mechanized brigade, control point of tactical force, terrain board and workspaces of acting officials of the control point);
- special class of information processing complexes;
- specialized training classrooms for UAV operators;
- UAV maintenance technical workshop;
- UAV Research Laboratory;
- special printing laboratory;
- Laboratory of physical and chemical processes;
- training complex of the secure information exchange system and the service information exchange network;
- the class of technical information protection in which the certified object of information activity of Category 2 is deployed;
- elements of a modern training complex for information security and cyber security – cyberpoligon.
CONDUCTING TACTICAL AND SPECIAL CLASSES
Areas of scientific activity of Departments of the Faculty:
- creation of technical projects, for the development and improvement of the organizational and technical structure of Communication node of the control point of strategic, operational-strategic and operational command units of the Armed Forces, with the practical implementation of these projects on terrain boards in equipped classrooms, taking into account the experience of the ATO, and the combat use of communication units in the East;
- improvement of methodological training of cadets, development of scientific thinking, acquisition of skills of research, inventive and innovative work, development of a creative approach to the combat use and operation of modern information and telecommunications systems, complexes, means of communication, with practical application (use) in specialized classes of information and telecommunications services at the command and observation post of the battalion, the main command post of the mechanized brigade;
- creating our own UACS;
- development of theoretical and practical skills in controlling a UAV repeater;
- analysis and development of radio communication lines for UAVs and ground control stations (NSC), taking into account the composition and purpose of the UAS;
- calculation and principles of application of antenna devices on UAVs and GCS;
- analysis and methods of implementing advanced navigation systems on UAVs;
- acquisition of primary UAV piloting skills by cadets;
- creation of a scientific and testing complex in combination with other departments of the Faculty, designed to carry out actions of scientific and technical activities related to disorganization, disruption, destruction through cyberspace of information infrastructure, control systems and causing destructive effects on the control points of various control units of the Armed Forces of Ukraine;
- cybersecurity research in information and telecommunications systems of the Armed Forces of Ukraine;
- development of proposals for draft departmental documents in the field of cyber security;
- development of cryptographic information security tools for classifying of short-wave and VHF radio channels;
- development of appropriate methods for conducting special tests, research on technical protection of information at communication facilities;
- development of proposals for guidelines on the creation of Integrated Information Security Systems at facilities of information activity;
- development of proposals for the placement of telecommunications equipment and cryptographic information protection equipment in accordance with the requirements of the guidelines.
MORAL AND PSYCHOLOGICAL SUPPORT
PHYSICAL TRAINING AND SPORTS
HEROES DO NOT DIE!
Head of the Department of tactical and special training of the Faculty of Information Protection of the Military Institute of Telecommunications and Information Technologies
Candidate of Technical Sciences, Colonel
Ihor M. PAVLOV
Heroically died on February 9, 2015 while performing a combat mission to ensure communication between units and subunits of Sector “C”. Moving in a military vehicle as part of a communications group, he was ambushed by a Russian terrorist sabotage and reconnaissance group near the village of Lohvynove, Debaltseve district, Donetsk Oblast. During the unequal battle, having suffered numerous bullet wounds, Colonel I. M. Pavlov and four other signalmen died before the end of the battle.
By the Presidential Decree № 270 dated May 15, 2015, “For personal courage and high professionalism shown in defending the state sovereignty and territorial integrity of Ukraine, loyalty to the military oath”, he was awarded the Order of Bohdan Khmelnytskyi, III degree (posthumously).
By the Order of the Minister of Defense of Ukraine №47 dated 20.01.2016, he was enrolled in the lists of the Faculty of Information Protection of the Military Institute of Telecommunications and Information Technologies for perpetuity.